
I did my first blood draw from a real, live person on Tuesday night. For weeks now, we have been practicing on the rubber arm. I was nervous but excited about having a go at real flesh and blood.
I was so nervous before sticking Francie! It was hard to wait for our turn. It just made me more nervous, the waiting.
She had full confidence in me, a lot more than I had in myself. She had singled me out earlier in the evening to be the one to draw her blood. Francie thinks I'm a "brainiac" who knows my stuff. I didn't feel quite the same way about myself, but it felt good that she wanted me to be the one to stick a sharp object under her skin and remove her blood! I knew all the steps, that wasn't the problem. My nervousness was from being afraid I would hurt her. It was also about the second when you actually stick the needle through the skin. This is an invasive, intimate procedure. I just wanted it to go well. She kept encouraging me, saying she knew I wouldn't hurt her and nothing bad would happen.
As I was preparing everything my hands were shaking. Not good! I applied the tourniquet, found a vein (yeah!), used the antiseptic, screwed the needle onto the holder, placed the tube in the holder, loosely. Diane, our instructor, was right there to help us along, so I knew I wouldn't forget any steps. I anchored the vein. When the moment came to do the stick, I had a "just do it" attitude. I couldn't wait forever. That baby had to go in. I knew faster would cause less pain. There was no use in waiting. I stuck it right in. When I popped the tube into the multisample needle, I didn't see any blood. Disappointment. But Diane and Francie saw it. Yes, I had blood after all! The rest of the procedure was a blur.
It was such a huge relief to have not hurt Francie, and to have drawn blood. We weren't required to get blood, Diane just wanted to see if our method was correct. But there is something satisfying about seeing that dark blood coming into the tube. The only thing I was told to do differently, was not to "jab" the needle in. I had tried to get that over with so quickly, that my movement wasn't smooth and quick as it should be. Also, I need to hold the gauze on the site for 3 - 5 minutes and remember to give her a bandaid. This was mainly forgotten in my excitement to have actually successfully stuck someone.
Nobody has been perfect on their first times, so I'm not concerned. I know perfection will come. But to have my first stick over with! Yeah! Something to get out of the way, so I won't be so nervous (hopefully) tonight when I stick someone else. Francie had been a perfect first patient. She encouraged me all along. Afterward, she kept complementing me and saying it didn't hurt. I felt so good about that.
Later, when it came time for her to stick me, I was nervous that I would have syncope (fainting) or feel nauseous. That happens to me 95% of the time when I get blood drawn. It's worse if I haven't eaten, and I hadn't eaten for hours. I also made the mistake of watching. Normally, I don't watch, but I felt since I was a student and had drawn blood earlier, then I should be able to watch and learn. Francie did a great job, but I was so anxious, and sure enough, I started feeling sick.
It's this feeling that comes over me, a bad sensation from the solar plexus to the lower abdomen. My perception of time slowed down, as though the stick was taking forever. All I could do was turn my head away and look at my classmates who were standing there looking at me with worried, incredulous looks.
Poor Francie! She thought she'd done something wrong. I kept reassuring her that it was not her fault at all, this just happens to me. I told her she did great.
I tried to be tough, but I felt I was gonna be sick. At first, I was going to just try to ignore it and make it to my seat, but Diane said I looked pale and I could tell she was concerned. I went over to the trash can for a moment to see if I was going to throw up. At Diane's encouragement, I laid down across a few of our chairs and someone brought me my Dr. Pepper. Natasha stayed close by in case I needed anything.
I was embarrassed. Of course, I would be the one to have such an episode! I felt ridiculous at my reaction to the simple blood draw. Why had my nerves and my body failed me with everyone watching? I can draw blood OK but can't give it? But, within minutes I was fine, and sat up to start on my homework with the rest of my table.
Tonight, I won't let myself get woozy when my partner is working on me. I will eat well before class and also have a snack on each break. I will look away when my blood is being drawn. It will go fine.
I am looking forward to sticking someone tonight and doing a better job than the first time. I'm really enjoying this phlebotomy class. There are some great people in it, the instructor is great, and I love learning.
Sometimes I can't believe I'm in this class, when I've always hated having my blood drawn and had similar experiences to Tuesday night. I guess I know I can do ANYTHING if I put my mind to it, and this is no different. I will be the best phlebotomist I can be. If anything, it only helps to know that a patient may be feeling anxiety over the draw, and that I can be compassionate and do all I can to help them.
No comments:
Post a Comment