Saturday, October 11, 2008

We Love You & Miss You Too, Baby.



One thing I didn't have when waiting to get Jean Paul from the O, was email access to him. Now, thanks to Bryn Boorman (pictured with James on the right), I can send and get the occasional email from James.

I'm happy to hear that he's learning English. He seems very intelligent, just like Jean Paul. I love that he loves to draw; that he has a great imagination. He also says that he doesn't like Math. It sounds like we have some things in common already! (I'll have to ask Jean Paul to tutor us both.) It's also good to know that James is respectful of others; that's something that we have tried to teach Jean Paul as well. And, I bet certain people are going to be happy that he's a soccer player.

I am so ready to have him here. There are so many "firsts" for us to experience with him. I can't wait to see what all I can interest him in, what his sense of humor is like, how he and Jean Paul will get along (especially sharing a room!), what it will be like to have our family complete, and the kind of person he is and will become.

Below is the email from Bryn re: James, and then below that are a couple of treasured emails from my boy himself.
Hi Paula -

What can I tell you about him? I could talk forever about James, but
first let me just say you are one of the luckiest mamas ever to be
getting him.

He did get your e-mail and he asked me yesterday if he could come over
and write, but we've had a lot going on. I'll try to pull him over
here soon to reply. I typed the letter for him and while his English
isn't that good, it is very good for his age. He's in my 3rd group of
English (I have 4) and he's the youngest kid in that group and often
knows the answers before the older kids know them.

He's a very quiet child, but his quietness is what I love about him.
In spite of that attribute, he loves to be goofy and I love to just
sit across the room at him and make faces at each other. He's always
the first to come when I call them over for English class and he
always participates willingly in everything and does the assignments
without complaing (which is quite rare!). He has quite the imagination
and loves to draw. He and Monsanto were best friends and so I was
worried about him when Monsanto left, but he and Ernso and Adler (the
3 youngest boys in the boys' house) have all melded together. The
older boys really like James, too, so they usually have him with them.

He's very respectful too, which is rare in this culture. Haitian
culture as a whole doesn't have a lot of respect for people, so it's
amazing to watch him show all the adults and the other boys respect.

Ok - I draw my James novel to a close. I'll try to call him over today
to write.

Dear mom –


How are you? I am good. School started on Monday. I am in the 3rd
grade. Greet everyone for me. I pray for you every day. I
love you and I miss you.

Love, James


Dear mom and dad -

How are you? How is Jean Paul? Thank you for your letter. I am good. My
favorite class is Social Science. I don't like math! I like school so far.

Bryn translates my letters for me, but she says I am very smart in English.

My favorite food is rice. My favorites sport is soccer. I love the team
Manchester United. I like to watch tv with the other boys. I like to draw.
Ashley is my best friend.

I can't wait to receive the package you will send. Thank you for sending it.
I miss Jean Paul very much.

I love you and I miss you.

Love, James

No comments: